Updated: cvs-1.11.5-1

cvs has been updated to version 1.11.5-1.  CVS is the 'Concurrent
Versioning System', a widely-used package for maintianing revision
histories of source code.  This port is based on the official cvs-1.11.5
release, and requires that libgdbm-1.8.0-5 be installed as well.

This is an update to version 1.11.5 from 1.11.0; there have been lots of changes under the hood. cvs-1.11.5 adds the rlog command, as well as a number of bugfixes. AFAIK, the server mode is still broken. cvs-1.11.5 has been available for months as an unofficial test release, and on the cygwin mirror system as an official test release for two weeks. There have been no significant problems reported, so...

This version actually performs better on the self-tests than the old cvs-1.11.0 version did, so that's good. I have not verified the interaction of binary/text mounted repository directories with binary/text mounted working dirs. (However, since text mounts were basically broken in 1.11.0, any improvement in that area is gravy.)

                  binary-mounted         text-mounted
                  repository dir        repository dir

binary-mounted       works              ? (probably NOT work)
working dir

text-mounted         works              ? (probably NOT work)
working dir

See the NOTES below for my summary of the cvs selftest results.

--Chuck

INSTALLATION:

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin web page.  This downloads setup.exe
to your system.

Run setup and answer all of the questions.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
choose a mirror site for your download.  The 'sources.redhat.com' site
is badly overloaded.  The mirrors below have the latest version of this
package:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/ (US)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
(Germany)
ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/cygwin/ (Greece)

The setup.exe program will figure out what needs to be updated on your
system and should install the less package automatically.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at:  cygwin@sources.redhat.com .  I would appreciate if you
would use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly. This
includes ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.

*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at
the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send
email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

NOTES:

o updated to the 1.11.5 source

o requires cyggdbm.dll from libgdbm-1.8.0-5 package

If you have never used cvs before -- please do some research before
asking 'how-do-I' questions.  Here's the really short version:
  <unpack the binary distro, then>
  export CVSROOT=/usr/local/src/CVS
  cvs init

o test reports and user comments appear below.

--Chuck

------- Test reports from running 'make check'
------- cygwin-1.3.22 on W2Ksp3, CYGWIN=tty binmode ntsec
------- all drives mounted binary

You can only run the 'official' tests if you download the source archive
(cvs-1.11.5-1-src.tar.gz) and build cvs yourself.  In any case, here are
some notes from my personal tests, running the 'make check' suite of
tests. This took several hours to complete.

Of the many hundreds of tests performed in local: mode and in remote: mode, cvs failed only the following:

                      remote: devcom3
                      remote: crerepos

To run the tests individually, don't type 'make check'. Instead, cd to
<top>/src and type:
  '/bin/sh ./sanity.sh `pwd`/cvs list-of-tests-to-run'

You can find the list of all tests inside sanity.sh starting at line
674.

This list of failures may be scary, but it's better than the older cygwin port of cvs-1.11.0-1. I'd appreciate any reports of success or failure using this version.

BEGIN      cvs-1.11.5-1.CHECK-SUMMARY

Table of contents:
  Notes
  Brief Summary of Test Failures
  Gory Test Results

Of 123 local: tests and 123 remote: tests,
(each with many subtests), only the following
failures were observered:

                      remote: devcom3
                      remote: crerepos

For Extremely Gory Test Results, see the files
  cvs-1.11.5-1.check.localpass
  cvs-1.11.5-1.check.localfail
  cvs-1.11.5-1.check.remotepass
  cvs-1.11.5-1.check.remotefail

-------------------------------------------- NOTES --------------------------------------------

NOTES:
 (0) All tests run on W2k, NTFS, cygwin=ntsec, binary mounts
     for EVERYTHING, including the build dir, src dir, and
     /tmp.

 (1) I have made no attempt to fix or find any text/binary issues
     in the cygwin port of cvs.  It's entirely possible that any
     extant issues have already been fixed in the official codebase.
     It's also possible that bugs still lurk.

 (2) The old cvs-1.11.0-1 cygwin release failed these tests
     (only :local: access was tested):

     join-readonly-conflict (subtest 1)
     modules                (subtest 148)  failed with a coredump
     errmsg1                (subtest 168)
     binfiles3              (subtest 11)
     rcs2                   (subtest 7)
     rcs3                   (subtest 5)

     So, the 1.11.5-1 actually performs better than 1.11.0-1; it
     no longer fails the rcs2, rcs3, and join-readonly-conflict tests.
     Of the four :local: failures, three are no change from the
     earlier release.  The only "new" failure is modules6 -- but
     that test didn't exist in 1.11.0, so it isn't a regression, per se.

===> no regressions from cvs-1.11.0-1 <===

     Further, we now can test pseudo-remote access using the :fork:
     protocol, which mimics all of the remote access code by
     forking a new copy of cvs.exe as a "local server".  In that
     case, the only test differences are:
       :fork: fails devcom3
       :fork: fails crerepos -- but that's expected

(3) coredumping is bad.

 (4) Special 'targets' in the build script. After doing
     cvs-1.11.2-1.sh conf, and build, you can also do:

       cvs-1.11.5-1.sh check-local-pass
       cvs-1.11.5-1.sh check-local-fail
       cvs-1.11.5-1.sh check-remote-pass
       cvs-1.11.5-1.sh check-remote-fail

     check-local-pass runs all 119 local tests that I got successful
     results for.  Ditto check-remote-pass (117 passing tests).
     However, check-local-fail and check-remote-fail run only the
     few tests that failed in my testing.

 (5) There may be a resource leak somewhere -- while the check-local-pass
     tests run fine, I often got a "No space left on device" error
     while running the check-remote-pass tests (even though I had PLENTY
     of free disk space).  These spurious failures would persist -- until
     I rebooted the machine.  At that point, I could continue the tests
     from the point of failure, for another 30-40 tests.

This did NOT happen in :local: mode; only :fork: mode. It's
possible the :fork: code isn't closing file descriptors or something...

     However, I do not expect that these sorts of errors will crop up in
     everyday usage.

      BRIEF SUMMARY OF TEST FAILURES

FAILED TESTS:

       causes a coredump...

       expected.  'admin -o' is disabled on windows/cygwin

remote: modules (subtest modules-148a1) again, causes a coredump

remote: modules6 (subtest modules6-1)

remote: binfiles3 (subtest binfiles3-11)
        again, expected.  'admin -o' is disabled on windows/cygwin

remote: errmsg1 (subtest 168)

remote: devcom3 (subtest devcom3-9ar)

remote: crerepos
        ERROR: cannot test remote CVS, because `rsh KHELDAR' fails.
        when testing in remote mode, crerepos uses :ext: instead of
        :fork:.  However, even though I had rshd running -- it was
        running as SYSTEM -- which means password entry is required.
        This test expects passwordless rsh.

             GORY TEST DETAILS

LOCAL TESTS

  FAILED 4
    modules
    modules6
    binfiles3
    errmsg1

  PASSED 119
    version basica basicb basicc basic1
    deep basic2 files spacefiles commit-readonly
    commit-add-missing rdiff diff death death2
    rm-update-message rmadd rmadd2 dirs dirs2
    branches branches2 tagc tagf rcslib
    multibranch import importb importc update-p
    import-after-initial join join2 join3 join-readonly-conflict
    join-admin join-admin-2 new newb conflicts
    conflicts2 conflicts3 clean modules2 modules3
    modules4 modules5 mkmodules-temp-file-removal cvsadm emptydir
    abspath toplevel toplevel2 checkout_repository mflag
    editor errmsg2 adderrmsg devcom devcom2
    devcom3 watch4 watch5 unedit-without-baserev ignore
    ignore-on-branch binfiles binfiles2 mcopy binwrap
    binwrap2 binwrap3 mwrap info taginfo
    config serverpatch log log2 logopt
    ann ann-id crerepos rcs rcs2
    rcs3 lockfiles backuprecover history big
    modes modes2 modes3 stamps sticky
    keyword keyword2 keywordlog head tagdate
    multibranch2 tag8k admin reserved diffmerge1
    diffmerge2 release multiroot multiroot2 multiroot3
    multiroot4 rmroot reposmv pserver server
    server2 client fork commit-d

REMOTE TESTS: (uses :fork:, not :ext: or :pserver:)

  FAILED 5
    modules
    modules6
    binfiles3
    errmsg1
    devcom3
    crerepos

  PASSED 117
    version basica basicb basicc basic1
    deep basic2 files spacefiles commit-readonly
    commit-add-missing rdiff diff death death2
    rm-update-message rmadd rmadd2 dirs dirs2
    branches branches2 tagc tagf rcslib
    multibranch import importb importc update-p
    import-after-initial join join2 join3 join-readonly-conflict
    join-admin join-admin-2 new newb conflicts
    conflicts2 conflicts3 clean modules2 modules3
    modules4 modules5 mkmodules-temp-file-removal cvsadm emptydir
    abspath toplevel toplevel2 checkout_repository mflag
    editor errmsg2 adderrmsg devcom devcom2
    watch4 watch5 unedit-without-baserev ignore ignore-on-branch
    binfiles binfiles2 mcopy binwrap binwrap2
    binwrap3 mwrap info taginfo config
    serverpatch log log2 logopt ann
    ann-id rcs rcs2 rcs3 lockfiles
    backuprecover history big modes modes2
    modes3 stamps sticky keyword keyword2
    keywordlog head tagdate multibranch2 tag8k
    admin reserved diffmerge1 diffmerge2 release
    multiroot multiroot2 multiroot3 multiroot4 rmroot
    reposmv pserver server server2 client
    fork commit-d

-------------------------------------------- END: cvs-1.11.5-1.CHECK-SUMMARY --------------------------------------------

------- USERS' COMMENTS

works for me for everything I've tried. For whatever that's worth.

cvs can't work with packages that contain files whose names are illegal
under MSWIN -- e.g. the eggdrop-1.5 package has a directory called
'AUX'. Reported by Travis Howell.

status: IGNORE. cvs isn't the right place to fix this. If it is to be
fixed, it should be done in the cygwin file access layer, not in cvs.
(Personally, I thing the maintainer of eggdrop and other poorly-behaved
packages should use names that are cross-platform compatible, but...)

addendum: Corinna sez 'Yep'.