Re: [FYI]: doc directory [was Re: [RFD]: Where to put the important README files?]

AJ Reins wrote:
> And I, as well, will adhere to this. However, I do have a small question
> as to what should go in this directory (which in my case would be
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/bash if I understand this correctly)? Do I put a copy

No, it should be

	/usr/doc/Cygwin

and the README would be in case of current bash:

	bash-2.04.README

> of the example bash-completions that is currently in the source only
> distribution? Otherwise, I have no idea as to what should go in this
> directory. Comments are, as usual, most welcome!

AFAICS, there's currently no need for a Cygwin specific README for
bash. The README in that directory is needed, if the installation
and/or configuration of the package is somewhat complicated and
above all _different_ from the descriptions in the documentation
already provided by package. You know, Windows specific differences,
etc.

BTW: Michael Rings suggestion is definitely worth to think of.
The other package docs (not man and info files, of course) should
have a similar place and the

	/usr/doc/APPNAME-VERSION

is the strategy already used by RH Linux. We should follow that
when providing binary packages.

This all is mostly a "learning by doing" process and people like
me are a bit halfhearted in providing documentation at all. It would
be nice if we all support one another by telling when the new
package isn't according to the new `documentation standard'.