Re: vim-5.7-2 (Bugfix-version) available for testing

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:59:43 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 11:42:16PM +0200, Michael Ring wrote:
>>Corinna has thought about holding vim back until cygwin 1.1.3 is
>>released; this would make it easier to fix problems with cr/lf because
>>of the new mechanisms in 1.1.3
>
>Can you or Corinna supply specifics on what would be fixed by the
>new mechanisms in 1.1.3?  I sort of thought that vim already was
>textmode aware.  I was surprised to see the traffic on the mailing
>list.
>
>cgf

It seems to be aware of cr/lf for files that are loaded for editing.
It does not seem to work too well with configuration files for vim
itself having cr/lf.

Easy test:

create a .vimrc-file in your home

open it with vim.

type:

<ESC>:echo &fileformat

response should be unix (If your home is on binary mount)

now, type

<ESC>:set fileformat dos

insert a few empy lines

<ESC>:wq

now edit the file again, vim starts with error-messages:

Error detected while processing /home/ring/.vimrc:
line    2:
Not an editor command: ^M
line    3:
Not an editor command: ^M
line    4:
Not an editor command: ^M
Press RETURN or enter command to continue

==> everything is fine until the user wants is own personal .vimrc and
his home is on a textmount
==> or the user wants to start some vim scripts with source and the
scripts are either from the Windows-version of vim or also on a
textmount.

Simply using vim should not do any hard unless / is also a textmount
but then ARGH...

but fortunately every install from cygwin reverts / to a binary mount.

bless god (or whoever is responsible for this) for this behaviour of
setup.exe

Michael