Re: AW: perl-5.6.0 ready for test! (IMPORTANT READ THIS MESSAGE ON MAINTAINE

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 06:12:31AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Michael Ring <Michael.Ring@t-mobil.de> wrote:
>> I leave this decision up to cgf, personally I would draw the following line:
>>
>> latest includes software that is officially supported (directly or indirect)
>> by
>> the cygwin-core team (corinna, cgf and dj)
>> contrib contains software that is supported by the rest of
>> cygwin-enthusiasts.
>
>That means that most of what is in latest would go to contrib.

Right.  The criteria for latest has been that we have an active
contributor.  We probably have to refine that.

(Anyone want to take over the bash maintainership?  We need some crucial changes there
but there hasn't been much activity for months.)

>> As far as I know there has never been something official statement about what
>> put to latest / contrib
>>

>I don't know about official but IIRC latest is to contain essential user and
>developer tools where contrib is to contain niceties that aren't essential.
>Saying this, IMO automake, autoconf, libtool and perl are essential developer
>tools.

I'd like to suggest that setup needs a category like "developer environment" which
includes things like that but then someone might suggest that I provide a patch.  :-)

Anyway, I have no objections to including automake, perl, etc.  Does everyone agree
with this or are there issues with disk space or (in perl's case) updating?