Re: Cygwin 1.1.4: unexpected "make" behaviour

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 04:48:41PM -0800, Sammartino, Ryan wrote:
> >If you look at a slightly larger slice of the code
> >than diff -c provides, you'll see that this whole thing
> >is wrapped in a "#ifdef GCC_IS_NATIVE" directive, which is
> >set near the top of default.c:
> >
> >/* Define GCC_IS_NATIVE if gcc is the native development environment on
> >   your system (gcc/bison/flex vs cc/yacc/lex).  */
> >/* CYGNUS LOCAL: or __CYGWIN__ */
> >#if defined(__MSDOS__) || defined(__CYGWIN__)
> >#define GCC_IS_NATIVE
> >#endif
> >

> >so it does seem to be a "cygnus only" thing.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your logic.  If GCC_IS_NATIVE, surely g++
> either be the default c++ compiler or someone had a reason for not
> making that the case.  AFAICT, you are modifying a section of make that
> is untouched by Cygnus/Red Hat.  It's under the control of a define
> which can be set in non-Cygwin conditions.  Roland McGrath obviously had
> a reason for doing this.  If it was wrong, then the make maintainer
> (psmith@gnu.org) should apprised of that fact.

And possibly the correct solution is to remove the `|| defined(__CYGWIN__)' in
this instance.  The probable case here is that back in version x a patch was
submitted that took effect in version y so that there is no Cygwin specific
change anymore.  It would be a Cygwin package maintainers job to see that such
code patches are submitted back to the source maintainer.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com