This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- To: <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>,<cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com>
- Subject: RE: setup wishes -- any volunteers
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:14:02 +1100
- Thread-Index: AcCzIupF1kHlfo7DQTeSTKpL7Ew9RwAAPmxQAABn/WA=
- Thread-Topic: setup wishes -- any volunteers
And after all that I forgot to put in when & where we start using it :]
> target 1) setup.exe can read and install (possibly via
> bootstrapping) a
> dpkg package.
> target 2) setup.exe can check dependecies on a dpkg package.
> target 3) "workstation" "developer" "server" "everything"
> install sets.
> target 4) make it pretty *
> * I don't care about this bit. It's not terribly important.
> Ease of use
> & reliability are important.
Target 1 should be a drop in for the current setup - it'll still read
tarballs, it's just had a new format added.
For target 2 to be used, we will need to repackage the existing packages
with dependency information. After that it could be (should be) used .
For target 3 to be used, we will need no changes to existing packages.