Re: WSASocketA returns WSAEPROVIDERFAILEDINIT

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 07:46:23PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Tuesday, 01 May, 2001 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >> Thanks, I'll try that out.. Do you think I can set the SYSTEMROOT in my own call to _spawnlpe() or should I apply the patch to
> >> the cygwin source and rebuild the DLL?
> >>
> >> Thanks for the reply.  I had lost hope of a response long ago!
>
> EB> Hmm...  On WinNT 4 it's set as a standard Win32 environment variable.
> EB> Just make sure it's part of the Windows initialization.
>
> it's certainly set by default. the problem is that spawnlpe (and
> execle, for that matter), create process with new, constructed
> environment, and if programmer won't include SystemRoot in this
> constructed environment, new process won't have it. this may break
> some standard windows components, including winsock.

I had the problem of missing Windows environment variables when
porting OpenSSH. Since there are so many of them and since any
application could break because of the lack of them I decided to
copy the whole environment to the subprocess, except for variables
which have to be changed. That's part of the OpenSSH sources.
Eventually that would be good practice to do that for rshd as well???

Red Hat, Inc.