Re: Updated: cygrunsrv-0.92-2

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 06:29:56PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> As a result, the current method isn't sufficient for shutdown since the
> service thread simply hangs in `waitpid' until the child application
> actually exited.

OK, we'll have to consider a different design there.  I've been able
to get by with a simple waitpid design in postgres so far, but that
might be fragile, dependent on processor speed and whatnot.

> I'm somewhat surprised. When I send SIGTERM to cygrunsrv, the signal
> is silently ignored and cygrunsrv grabs all CPU time it can get.

Ah, sorry, I was basing my statement on the code and not on actual
tests.  I've found that I need to ignore SIGHUP (with SIG_IGN) in the
postgres service process; if I don't, that service process seems to
stop running abruptly in the middle of NT shutdown.  I thought the
process was terminating, but it might instead be looping as you have
seen.

> Currently we have the following TODO list:
>
> * --sig <signal> option.
> * --std{in,out,err} option as described in the cygwin mailing list.
> * --dep(?) option for adding dependencies to other services.

OK, I'll start with '--sig' and then look into '--dep'.

> * (not yet possible): Sending signals to cygrunsrv to perform various
>   actions.

That one is not important to me.  What actions would we want beyond
the effect of 'net stop'?

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370