Re: curl, libcurl, libcomprex, leakbug (was:Re: Packaging cURL for cygwin distribution ???)

Versioning for DLLs is important.  Search the archives for more info;
these threads should get you started -- but be prepared for a lot of
reading...

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-03/msg00011.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q3/msg00432.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Versioning
Also:

>> 5:4:3 is revision 4 of the implementation of interface 5, which
>> is backwards compatible with the 3 previous interface definitions
>> (i.e. it is safe for applications linked against interfaces 5, 4, 3
>> and 2 to load the 5:4:3 dll at runtime).   Libtool translates the
>> 5:4:3 into a system specific version number for the soname to help the
>> runtime loadee choose the best available library at runtime.  As I
>> said before, currently this mapping is wrong on Windows,
>
> ======== Robert's hacked libtool seems to use the "correct" mapping,
> below, on windows.
>
>> and I think
>> the correct mapping is to always use the oldest supported interface
>> number -- in this case library2.dll -- when generating the soname.
>> This is explained fully in the version node of the libtool manual link
>> that was quoted earlier in the thread.

The upshot of all this is that libraries should follow this naming scheme:

static lib:  /usr/lib/libfoo.a
import lib:  /usr/lib/libfoo.dll.a
dynamic lib: /usr/bin/cygfoo<VER>.dll or /usr/bin/cygfoo-<VER>.dll

--Chuck