Re: GCC-3 additions

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 12:53:28PM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
>1) How important is Donn Terry's -fnative-struct feature.  Merging his
>patchset from 2.95 into 3.0 branch is easy.  Merging into 3.1 takes a bit
>more work, with change to table-driven attributes, but getting there.

I've been using -fnative-struct for all of my cygwin DLL builds
recently.  Anecdotal evidence (from Earnie, maybe?) indicates that it
causes a noticeable speedup but I haven't really noticed anything
myself.

>2) How important is fastcall calling convention to cygwin apps.  I have
>been working with Eric Kohl on a patchset that he is keen to get into mingw
>binaries. ReactOS project needs them for building MS-compat device drivers.
> They involve changes in binutils (as, dlltool, ld) as well as gcc.  These
>are still WIP

I'd like to have fastcall conventions.  I think it is necessary if we want
gcc to be a replacement for MSVC.

Out of curiousity, how does fastcall differ from attribute ((regparm (n)))?

Are there any other patches that need to be added to 3.1 to make it a
good Windows compiler?  I know that the mingw/cygwin gcc 2.95.3 has a
lot of Mumit Khan additions.  Are these patches either unneeded or
unnecessary for 3.1?