Re: patches to vendor source trees - discussion

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 13:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:15:54PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 13:03, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Couldn't the patch remove itself?
> >
> >Not if you create the patch via diff!
>
> Why?  The patch could patch itself into a zero length file and the file
> could be removed via "patch -E".

To make the patch a zero length file, the entire contents need to be
listed with a - before each line right?

so how long is a file that completely contains itself?

> Yes, it is.  Lets do that!  If we have a tool that will manage this, I
> think this is a win.

*cough debbuild cough*.
Seriously, thats the goal I've had for over 12 months, and made no
secret of. We have a long way to go though, and I'm inclined to the baby
steps approach.

Making the patch into a single file above the src dir seemed easy
enough, and something that should keep things easy to use for the users
without any special tools. (Something I'd like to put off until we have
enough in setup.exe to leverage existing tools).

Anyway, all I'm proposing _now_ is that the patch sit outside.

Rob