Re: /setup.html please read - feedback desired

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 01:49:29PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 13:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 12:57:23PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> I was just reacting to Chuck's assertion that setup.hint is now the
>> "normal" method not the "fallback" method for version handling.  I don't
>> agree with that.
>
>I happen to agree with Chuck. All the metadata to drive the new setup
>*can* be placed directly into setup.ini or setup.hint. I'm in favour of
>simply saying "put it in setup.hint".

Then, I guarantee that, until there is a simple tool to manipulate
setup.hint, we will see problems, because people will forget to update
prev/curr in setup.hint.

It has happened to me, it has happened to Corinna.  It has happened to
others.

>>Right now most of the information is concentrated in setup.ini.  It was
>>a lot easier for me to manipulate all of the package info in setup.ini
>>than it would have been to have it in 88 different directories.  I
>>expect this to change.
>
>I've no objection to *you* editing setup.ini.  I've an objection to new
>maintainers doing *anything* directly to setup.ini.  And the doco we
>are writing is for *new maintainers* - like Kevin.

Right:
* I hope that package maintainers will start updating the info in
* setup.ini by adding setup.hint files.