Re: patches to vendor source trees - discussion

Robert Collins wrote:

> > You merely changed the name of the internal tarball slightly.
>
> Correct, because it should have been the vendors tarball as is.

Yeah, but didn't "we" decide that src packages should unpack into
distinctly remember concluding that I was "wrong" according to consensus
on the list.

However, a pristine tarball will always unpack into <pkg>-<ver> (unless
you're jpeg, in which case you unpack into jpeg<ver>.  Or unless you're
tiff, in which case you unpack into tiff-v<ver>. Sigh).

In my style 1, I allowed the pristine tarball to unpack however it
liked, and then explicitly mv it to the cygwin-approved "pkg-ver-rel/"
during the "prep" stage.

In style 2 that option wasn't available (you have to patch by hand, so
you don't have the script, so there's really no "prep" stage).  So, I
repacked the pristine tarball without any other changes so that it would
unpack into the approved "pkg-ver-rel" directory.

Your style 3 ignores the previous consensus, and allows the pristine
tarball to unpack into whatever dir the upstream folks used.

I don't have a problem with that, but it is contrary to the
previously-discussed decision.

> I didn't realise I'd altered the README. Oops. I've been maintaining
> that what I'm talking about is orthogonal to the package building at
> this point. However I've updated the script & readme to use the
> structure I have in the tarball. I've also mailed you another style3
> tarball... built via 'mktemp-1.3.1-1.sh all'

Sure -- they are orthogonal subjects until you bring a human into the
process.  Who has to unpack the -src dist, and then build it.  As soon
as you try to give that human instructions on unpacking/building, you
create a link between the packaging and building -- thru the README file
and the .sh/rules/make/script.

Okay, all three versions are up at
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/packaging/

They've been renamed to
  style1-*
  style2-*
  style3-*

(I made no other changes to style1-* and style2-*; internally they are
the same as before).

The styleX-mktemp-1.3.1*.README and styleX-mktemp-1.3.1*.sh files are
extracted from the tarballs for easier viewing, but the "dists" consist
only of the .tar.bz2 and -src.tar.bz2 files.

Really, Robert, I don't see much difference between style2 and style3:

  style2: unpacks into cygwin/SOURCES/(repackaged-but-pristine-tarball)
                       cygwin/SOURCES/patch-file
          build script creates -src.tar.bz2 in cygwin/SRPMS
          build script creates .tar.bz2 in cygwin/RPMS
          pristine tarball is repacked ONLY to comply with the
"pkg-src-rel" requirement previously discussed.  If you abandon that,
then there's no need to repack (which eliminates this difference between
style2 and style3)

  style3: unpacks HERE. (e.g. no embedded paths).
          build script creates -src.tar.bz2 HERE (overwrites downloaded
version?)
          build script creates .tar.bz2 HERE

READMEs and build scripts differ only to support these ^^^^ differences;
otherwise, they are the same.

--Chuck