Re: "rsync -e ssh" hangs when lots of data is being transferred -- USE_PIPES in OpenSSH is the culprit

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:48:33PM -0500, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> >  Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:42:43 +0100
> >  From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
> >
> >  Did you try to track it down with strace and/or gdb?
>
> No, I didn't, because I have far exceeded my time allowance for Cygwin
> debugging :-(.
>
> I will put it on my to-do list at work, but I can't justify making it
> high priority since we have an easy workaround (i.e., recompiling
> OpenSSH without USE_PIPES).

Just FYI, the following posting just has been sent to the openssh-unix-dev
mailing list:

==== SNIP ====
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:06:54 -00
From: "Hubertus A. Haniel" <hubba@unixcook.com>
Subject: SSH hang fix??
To: openssh-unix-dev@mindrot.org

It is nice to see that the development of openssh suddenly seems
to have a boost of activity. However I am fairly dissapointed to
see that nobody is actually trying to fix the ssh hanging problem
which I am mainly seeing on Solaris and AIX in conjunction with rsync.

Has anybody from the development team got an ETA of the official
fix for this problem?

Regards
Hubba

So, now we know it's not a Cygwin specific problem.

Red Hat, Inc.