Re: mingw-clingons [Was: Re: string.h vs string.h usage]

Danny Smith wrote:

>  --- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote: > On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at
> 03:39:38PM +0300, egor duda wrote:
> >
> > I can't believe that I've woken up to a huge thread about this trivial
> > issue.
> >
> > Can't we just rename strings.h to string.h in setup sources?  What's the
> > big frigging deal here?
> >
> > Why does every thread that touches setup.exe have to be so torturous?
> >
> > cgf
>
> I've just thought of a new email virus,  One starts a discussion about some
> trivial issue on three developer lists simultaneously (it's best to pick
> lists that like to be pedantic).  Soon the whole world grinds to a stop.
>
> Apart from above, I have no concerns with a do-nothing strings.h. Please,
> however, refrain from adding in sys/params.h, sys/resource.h, termio.h,
> etc.  The ACT distro of mingw did that and it means that much code written
> for the ACT version (including the code needed to build the gnat compiler)
> needs surgery to get rid of unprotected #include <sys/params.h>, etc that
> aren't really needed on mingw after all.

I only agreed to add strings.h because strcasecmp was an add-on (not in
MSVCRT.DLL or CRTDLL.DLL) and the documentation for it says it belongs
in strings.h.  I agree that this should not be a precedent that is used
to decide to add others.

Earnie.