Re: experimental texmf packages

"Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> writes:

> Follow to cygwin-patches please.

(oops, let's see if I can post there?)

> Thanks for freshening this up. There's still a little more to do, but it
> looks good nonetheless.

Ok.  Last status was: discussion document (otherwise it would have
gone in :-)

> > * Makefile.in (CFLAGS): Remove -Werror to allow build.
>
> The Werror is in by design. If your patch won't build with it, I won't
> accept you patch.

Ah, good.  But it was not for my patch!  The latest cvs setup.exe
won't build without it, in my environment.  I get warnings (-> errors)
like:

/home/fred/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.6/usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include/rpcndr.h:252: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
In file included from /home/fred/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.6/usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include/ole2.h:5,
                 from /home/fred/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.6/usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include/shlobj.h:8,
                 from mklink2.c:3:
/home/fred/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.6/usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include/objbase.h:165: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/home/fred/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.6/usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include/objbase.h:166: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
make: *** [mklink2.o] Error 1

> > * configure.in (LIB_AC_PROG_CXX): Bugfix for CXXFLAGS override.
>
> What's wrong with the current method?

At some point, it feeds $(CXXFLAGS) to the shell, which complains that
CXXFLAGS is not a command.

> > * desktop.cc (etc_profile): Remove line breaks and spaces from PS1.
>
> The line is now > 80 chars, and indent will break it up again. Is there
> some reason for this change?

Ah, that's how this bug got in, probably.  You may not notice it
because your /etc/profile won't be overwritten, or you have your own
PS1, but the default prompt from unpatched install looks like this:

    tineke@DOOS ~
    $ logout
    Connection to doos closed.

with the fix, it looks like this:

    tineke@DOOS ~$ logout

(but we'll have to do another sane line break, because of indent.)

> > * package_meta.cc (try_run_script): New function.
>
> This doesn't belong here. It's nothing to do with the package, but with
> interfacing with the shell/scripts. Also (this one is minor/optional),
> cygpath and _access are deprecated - foo = io_stream::open (concat
> ("cygfile://", dir, fname, 0), "rb") followed by run_script (foo) would
> be the more OO approach here.
>
> In the future I think we'll want a script or shell class to encapsulate
> all of this.

Ok.  In short: I tried to update the patch with a minimal amount of
extra/moved code.  The comments suggest that pkg managent is still in
flux.  I can fix the file exists check, but where do you want the
function to go?

Btw: is someone working on conflicts: or more versatile requires:?  I
may want to have a look at adding versioned and/or alternative
requires.  It would be easiest to change the syntax to something like:

   requires: foo, bar | baz >= 1.3, bla

Would that be feasible, or will the space as separator stay, and must
we go for something like:

   requires: foo bar|baz>=1.3 bla

It's a quite small patch, if the functionality is ok, I guess I/we can
fix these details?

> You're missing postinstall.h in your changelog.

Ok.

> Also postinstall.h won't compile if it's the only include

Ok.

Greetings,
Jan.

--