Re: broken setup.hint files

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> should have asked Chris for
> permission to post his code
> [....]
> Because it is completely and totally unsupported [..]
> not enough (global) benefit.  Therefore: unsupported and not
> widely available.

I can understand the `unsupported' part very well, because, well, it's
got to do some hairy things.  But the `not widely available' is a bit
of a shame; what's the use in me writing my own gen-ini, and then
eating your time with complaints like these messages?

> No.(*)  "Is foo-09 the same as foo-9?"  "Yes, we renamed it so that it
> would sort properly against foo-10." "That was dumb".

Ok.

> some people care about bandwidth.
[..]
> Oh boy.  That would REALLY screw up setup.  See robert's message.

Ok, but increasing the release version while doing this would have
been easy too.

> > There are now two flavours of -src.tar.* packages.
>
> later there will be even more.
[..]
> Take those issues up with the maintainer of the specific package you are
> concerned about.  Provide patches to enable that package to build

Ok, but you asked to clarify what I considered to be messy, so that's
what I did.  I'm the one who get stung by it, most people don't yet
care about rebuilding [parts of] the archive, yet.

> Make world is not a goal.

I still think that's strange.  Any distro should be able to do make
world.  It would not be difficult to start this up, and add packages
as they get make world compliant.

> Until then, we have a two step process...setup.hint --(upset)-->
> setup.ini --(setup.exe)--> installation

Ok.

> Yeah.  But you assumed that it was the setup.hints on sourceware that
> had a problem

Yes, because they don't comply with cygwin.com/setup.html.

> -- and went so far as to post "corrected" ones on a public
> webserver --

Of course; don't complain without (proposed) fix!

> not feature-rich enough.  *That's* what rubbed me the wrong way --
> but I am sorry for the rant-ness of my earlier message.

Thanks, and me too.  I got ranting because I was expecting something like:

   Ah, good.  But you're @&%#$]! to remove prev, curr, test makers; if
   you do the space/colon replacement too, we'll see if we can update
   the hint files.  (although we don't care too much because upset
   doesnt get upset, see attchmnt).

Greetings,
Jan.

--