Re: [ANN] apache_1.3.22 package available for setup inclusion

On the location of DLLs:
   I agree with Corinna that "inherently linked" DLL's should be in
/usr/bin, and should be named "cygXXXXX.dll" not "libXXXXX.dll".
However, I don't think it TRULY matters where dlopen'ed DLLs live --
except that users should not have to add /usr/libexec (or
/usr/lib/perl5/cygwin-multi/auto/ByteLoader/ and
/usr/lib/perl5/cygwin-multi/auto/Data/Dumper/ and ...) to their path.
Also, I do not think that private, dlopened,
not-in-the-public-bin-directory DLLs should be forced to follow the
cygXXXX.dll nomenclature.  XXXX.dll, libXXXX.dll, whatever.  They're
*private* -- who cares what they are named (although .dll is kindof a
necessity due to windows runtime loader and dlopen issues)

The fact is, many packages put private, non-linkable,
unusable-except-by-themselves shared libs into some private structure.
Like perl does.  This is okay, IMO.

However, packages that do this should not require "external assistance"
to find those dlopen'ed shared libs.  Either they should be dlopen'ed
using the full path, or main() should add the requisite directories to
the PATH -- but only for its process space, not globally.

So, IMO it's fine if apache puts its private, dlopen'ed DLLs into
/usr/libexec/apache/modules or whereever -- but it should not require
that /usr/libexec/apache/modules be added to the global PATH.

Now, if apache's httpd.exe is inherently linked to LOTS of mod_*.dll
shared libs -- instead of dlopen'ing them -- then I think that's a poor
design decision and apache needs a bit more work to change that to using
dlopen for the module-related DLL's...otherwise, where's the benefit of
using DLL's?  You still need to relink httpd.exe every time you add a
new module...might as well use static libs.

--Chuck