Re: Apache 1.3.22-3 ready to go?!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:25:35PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:17:28PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > I'd upload it, I'm just missing a hint how to start apache
> > > as NT service?!?
> >
> > I told you about that problem using cygrunsrv some months ago.
> > Unfortunatly I still have no solution. But I haven't tried that since
> > a while. Can you peak at it?!
>
> Can you again explain it, please?  I can give it a try.

I had a try starting httpd from inetd which works nicely.

What I did:

- Added a http service under Guest account to /etc/inetd.conf:

    http stream tcp nowait Guest /usr/sbin/httpd httpd

- To nurse my paranoia I changed the /etc/passwd line for Guest
  so that it's in group "Guests" instead of "None":

    Guest::501:546:,S-1-5-21-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-501:/home/Guest:/bin/true

- Changed the startup type in /etc/apache/httpd.conf:

    ServerType inetd

- Started inetd.

- Started a browser on my Linux box and tried to get a page from
  the Cygwin box.

- Was happy.

Now, I'm missing an option to httpd which allows the same as the
-D option in sshd:

  -D   When this option is specified sshd will not detach and does
       not become a daemon.  This allows easy monitoring of sshd.

This is similar to the -X option in httpd but that option let httpd
running in single process mode.  That's more like the -d option in
sshd which is only useful for debugging purposes, either.

If you could patch httpd to get a new option which differs from the
usual run mode only by not forking and detaching the master process,
we could start it using cygrunsrv as well.  That shouldn't be too
hard.  The -D option in sshd is really just skipping a function call
`daemon()'.

Otherwise we could upload apache as is but with a description how
to start under inetd in the /usr/doc/Cygwin/apache* README.  I'd
ask you to implement the above option, though.

Red Hat, Inc.