DocBook and OpenJade packages

Hi all,

I've recently installed the DocBook text processing system under CygWin.
This was quite fiddly, as there are many small tools that have to be
downloaded and configured.

I'm willing to volunteer to produce and maintain proper CygWin packages for
these tools, so that they can be easily installed by just choosing the
packages in the setup program.

* Is this something you'd like?
* Is anybody currently working on this?

As per the guidelines at http://cygwin.com/setup.html, I've written proposed
setup.hint files - they're at the end of this e-mail.  Comments welcome.
I haven't started working on the actual packages yet.

Kind regards,

Jon Foster

--- sgml-base/setup.hint ---
# This package is assembled from:
# - A perl script to maintain the SGML catalog file, probably from Debian's
#   sgml-base package, and probably modified for cygwin - I haven't checked
#   yet.
# - ISO entity definitions, from http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/ISOEnts.zip
# - HTML 3.2 DTDs from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32
# - HTML 4.0 DTDs from http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424
# - HTML 4.01 DTDs from http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224
#
category: Text
requires: perl bash
# perl      - To run the SGML catalog maintainace script.
# bash      - To run the post-install script to set up an SGML catalog.
test: 1.01-1
sdesc: "A basic SGML tree, and tools to maintain it."
ldesc: "A basic SGML tree, and tools to maintain it.
Includes the ISO entities, and the definitions of HTML 3.2, 4.0 and 4.01."

--- openjade/setup.hint ---
# Original source: http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
category: Text
requires: cygwin sgml-base bash
# cygwin    - This package contains binaries.
# sgml-base - So we can add DTDs to the SGML catalog.
# bash      - To run the post-install script to update the SGML catalog.
test: 1.3.1-1
sdesc: "The OpenSP SGML parser and the OpenJade DSSSL processor."
ldesc: "The OpenSP SGML parser and the OpenJade DSSSL processor.

OpenSP is a library for reading SGML files.

OpenJade can transform SGML files into other formats, such as
HTML and TeX files.  The transformation is controlled by DSSSL
style sheets (not included).

OpenJade is commonly used with the docbook and docbook-dsssl packages.

For more information, see http://openjade.sourceforge.net/";

--- xhtml-dtd/setup.hint ---
# Original sources:
# XHTML 1.0 DTD: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
# XHTML 1.1 DTD: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/
#
# (This package is included for completeness, not because DocBook needs it).
#
category: Text
requires: sgml-base libxml2 bash
# sgml-base - So we can add DTDs to the SGML catalog.
# libxml2   - So we can add DTDs to the XML catalog.
# bash      - To run the post-install script to update the SGML
#             and XML catalogs.
test: 1.1-1
sdesc: "DTDs defining XHTML 1.0 and 1.1, for use by XML and SGML tools."
ldesc: "DTDs defining XHTML 1.0 and 1.1, for use by XML and SGML tools.

For more information, see http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/";

--- docbook/setup.hint ---
# Original source: http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
category: Text
requires: sgml-base openjade bash
# sgml-base - So we can add DTDs to the SGML catalog.
# bash      - To run the post-install script to update the SGML catalog.
# openjade  - not really required for installation, but if you
#             want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need an
#             SGML parser, and openjade is the only one cygwin offers.
test: 4.1-1
sdesc: "An SGML DTD for writing books and other documentation."
ldesc: "An SGML DTD for writing books and other documentation,
especially technical documentation.

To convert DocBook documents to other formats such as HTML, you also need
the package docbook-dsssl.

This DTD is also available in XML flavour (in package 'docbook-xml').

See http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ for more information."

--- docbook-xml/setup.hint ---
# Original source: http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
category: Text
requires: sgml-base libxml2 bash
# sgml-base - So we can add DTDs to the SGML catalog.
# libxml2   - So we can add DTDs to the XML catalog.
# bash      - To run the post-install script to update the SGML
#             and XML catalogs.
test: 4.1.2-1
sdesc: "An XML DTD for writing books and other documentation."
ldesc: "An XML DTD for writing books and other documentation,
especially technical documentation.

To convert DocBook documents to other formats such as HTML, you also need
the package docbook-xsl.

This DTD is also available in SGML flavour (in package 'docbook').

See http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ for more information."

--- docbook-dsssl/setup.hint ---
# Original source: http://docbook.sourceforge.net/
category: Text
requires: sgml-base openjade docbook perl bash
# sgml-base - So we can add DTDs to the SGML catalog.
# openjade  - not really required for installation, but if you
#             want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need a
#             DSSSL engine, and openjade is the only one cygwin offers.
# docbook   - We need the DTD available to do anything.
# bash - To run the post-install script to update the SGML catalog.
test: 1.74b-1
sdesc: "Tools for converting DocBook SGML to HTML, TeX, MIF or RTF."
ldesc: "DSSSL stylesheets for converting DocBook SGML to HTML, TeX, MIF or
RTF.

Includes a perl script for generating the index.

See http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ for more information."

--- docbook-xsl/setup.hint ---
# Original source: http://docbook.sourceforge.net/
category: Text
requires: libxslt docbook-xml
# libxslt     - not really required for installation, but if you
#               want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need a
#               XSLT engine, and libxslt is the only one cygwin offers.
# docbook-xml - If you want to do anything with this package then you need
#               the Docbook XML DTDs.  If docbook-xml isn't installed, they
#               will be automatically fetched from a web server *every time*
#               they're needed.  However, that's a very slow way to do it -
#               far better to install them locally.
test: 1.48-1
sdesc: "XSL stylesheets for converting DocBook XML to HTML and
other formats."
ldesc: "XSL stylesheets for converting DocBook XML to HTML or FO.

Once the document has been converted to a FO (Formatting Object) file,
it can be further processed to PDF or other formats, using tools
such as PassiveTeX (not included)

See http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ for more information."

--- End of packages ---

--
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at
the ground and miss." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

E-mail: jon@jon-foster.co.uk
web: http://www.jon-foster.co.uk/