RCS difficulties

Hello - I am having trouble with RCS under Cygwin.

I found some discussion about this on the archives,
but couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I'm using emacs (not XEmacs) and cygwin, and was
trying to use the integrated RCS support in emacs to
check files in and out.  The problem, I think, stems
from the fact that I have emacs set up to use \r\n as
the line terminator.

Basically, what I'm seeing is this:

1. Write a text file in emacs, and register it.
2. Check out that file, add some new lines of text to
it (with carriage returns).
3. Check that file back in, and check it back out
again.  Part of the file is now gone, although the
original version (1.1) is still there...

I just spent the better part of 20 minutes trying to
reproduce this problem on purpose - predictably, I did
not see this error.  Has anyone else experienced
similar problems?  Also, in case anyone mentions that
I should be using CVS, I'm not trying to use RCS for
"modules" of anything, and would like to be able to do
version control on individual scripts (in various
languages).  I understand that CVS could be used for
this, but it's a little bit more complicated than RCS,
with which I am already familiar.

I'd appreciate any help I can get!!

Thanks,

Mike Hearne