RE: prev/curr/test

Someone somewhere got bitten by an upgrade IIRC. Certainly it's not the
key focus of setup. And once setup is command line driven, this should
be less of an issue: if you know that you want version foo, just ask for
it.

> I think the whole cycling through versions thing was a big
> mistake. I don't know of any other setup utility that allows
> this kind of thing. Heck, I believe that you actually need to
> specify a different repository entirely if you want to
> install non-current packages in debian.
>
> Is this correct, Robert?

Yes. Well kinda. Debian's automatic system - apt and dselect - only
allow grabbing the most recent version, or staying on your current
version. They then have three parallel distributions, one Stable, one
Testing, and one Unstable. Stable -never- breaks, Testing make break,
and Unstable... well it's your risk. For a given machine, you typically
only ever point apt at one distribution.

> You don't.  You find some other method for reverting to
> software that is <1 revision old.  This is not a hardship.
> AFAIK, setup has never allowed you to do more than prev/curr/test.

Not from the net. It does locally though FWIW.

> And how do you know when you've hit the current version?  You
> see it scroll by and remember that you want "1.4.9-1 bin" and
> then click the mouse ten more times to get back to that.
> That's really not user friendly, IMO.

Exactly.

Rob