Re: Setup/prev/curr/test/metapackages/another screen/etc

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:22:27PM -0600, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>How about this.  Replace the current "prev/curr/test" radio buttons with a
>drop-down list box containing not "metapackages" but "installation templates",
>with names like:
>
>Workstation
>Heavy-Duty Workstation
>Server
>Bare Bones Setup
>Bleeding Edge
>Maintenance
>
>Everything else stays the same.  Selection of one of the "templates" sets the
>suggested installs/uninstalls/whatever, but then you can change them however you
>want just like it is now.  After the initial installation, it defaults to
>"Maintenance", which sets things to update whatever you already have to the
>latest version, but not add or subtract anything.  If you initially did a
>"Server" install and try switching to say a "Workstation" install, maybe it
>gives you a warning box before it uninstalls half your stuff.

It's an interesting idea but I don't like glumping what used to be
prev/curr/test with the concept of packages or meta packages.  You lose
some functionality that way.

I really wish we had never even come up with the concept of
prev/curr/test.  Maybe the prev release should be a completely separate
release, ditto test.  You choose it early on in the setup process and
have setup.exe select from.

test/latest
test/contrib

curr/latest
curr/contrib

prev/latest
prev/contrib

I know this doesn't allow one to go back 47 revisions but, er, um
I think I've already weighed in on that one.