Re: Setup's download "local cache" storage directory!!!!

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > I'm sad about where setup is putting my files.  I've asked setup to
> > store my local cache in c:\Applications\Cygwin where I expect to find
> > latest\, contrib\, etc. under which I expect to find the application
> > directories where I expect to find the files.
> >
> > However I find that setup is instead creating a directory based on the
> > mirror name and storing the files under it.  This is not at all what one
> > would expect, especially a seasoned user of setup.  PLEASE CORRECT
> > THIS.  Sorry for shouting but now I've gotta go play games. YUCK!!!
>
> Ummm, Earnie, you've been around long enough that I am surprised to say
> this:  check the mailing list archives.  This has been discusses to
> death.

Frankly, I've not read much of the setup.exe discussions.

> The local cache is for setup's use, not yours.  (Setup sucks as
> a mirror tool, because it was not designed to BE a mirror tool).

Well, I can see that but; my typical procedure has been to use setup.exe
in download from internet mode and then install from local cache.  Now,
I can't do that. :(  Also, the way that things are coded for choosing
multiple mirror sites I could have the same file in more than one
directory in the cache.  Ouch, that bites.

> This behavior is not a bug, and it will not be "fixed".  It's necessary
> behavior to enable new functionality, but that you personally dislike.
> "Earnie Boyd doesn't like the side effects" is not really a compelling
> argument for eliminating the new functionality.

It may not be a bug by design but...  I understand what you say and
since I've not been involved with design discussion I'm rightly put in
my place.  However, multiples of the same file in the cache area is not
a good design and should be fixed.

> In order to merge the contents of multiple sites, the cache contains
> separate trees for each "mirror" -- but since you can add custom sites
> to the "mirror list", they are not necessarily all mirrors.  e.g. I've
> added my website as a download location; I keep pre-test-release
> packages there...

Understood, but again multiples of the same file in the cache shouldn't
happen.

> If you want an actual local mirror of one of the official cygwin
> mirrors, don't use setup.  Use a mirroring tool.  Heck, I use a script
> written around wget.

And I've done just that, the problem will be to remember to execute it
instead of setup to update the local cache. ;)

Earnie.