Re: Now that the new setup is here...

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Regardless, I'm with Robert.  setup was never designed to be a mirroring
>>>tool or a site deployment tool.  If people are relying on a particular
>>>directory arrangement then, er, tough...
>>>
>>Agreed.  I have a pretty clever (IMHO; although, being based on wget it
>>qualifies as "dumb" according to the definition above) wrapper around
>>wget that I use to mirror the cygwin dist; I wonder if it would be
>>useful to provide that somewhere (cgf's magic script area in the
>>repository?  Some other "random useful stuff here" repository?).  Then,
>>when people complain about setup, we say
>>
>>"Here.  Go use THIS tool, HERE, and don't try to fit the (setup) round
>>peg into the (mirroring) square hole"
>>

> I've been contemplating something very much like that, actually.  I guess
> that's no surprise.

My version, attached.

> I was thinking about polishing up and checking in the simple setup .bat
> file that I posted a while ago but I was wondering if that would lead
> to real confusion.
>
> "I used the cgfdeploy tool to download setup.exe but when I run
> setup.exe it just displays a bunch of windows.  What's going on?  I
> thought cgfdeply was supposed to be a simple mirroring tool!"

Urk.

> I also have a friend who's working on and off on a web based install,
> fwiw.

neat.

>>does sourceware (or any of the official mirrors) provide anonymous
>>rsync?
>>

> sourceware provides anonymous rsync.  It's a resource hog but it is
> available.
>
> I don't know if I want to advertise it too widely, though or there
> will be 257 people trying it out tomorrow.

Yep.

> We already suffer from people firing off 4 ftp sessions at a time
> to download their favorite tools.  I can just imagine what will
> happen when people experiment with rsync.

Yeah -- "Why is rsync continually downloading all the files, even though
I already have most of them" is an rsync FAQ.  Scary.

(Also, the 2second time granularity of the FAT filesystem causes massive
unnecessary rsync downloadiness.  No doubt we'd get hit with that, and
often.)

> I did get the new sourceware system today.  I set it up in my office
> (I'm not working from home anymore) where I cleverly killed the sshd
> daemon so that I can no longer access it to configure it.

Been there, done that.

> Once that box is deployed we should have some excess capacity for things
> like rsync and maybe we can even allow downloads from
> sources.redhat.com again.

But I thought the problem with sourceware has been (a) processing load
AND (b) bandwidth.  The new machine may fix (a), but what of (b) ?  Ah
well -- NMP(tm).  [Not My Problem]

--Chuck
#!/bin/sh
mirror="ftp://mirrors.rcn.net";
mpath="/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin"

cleanup() {
echo "Cleaning up obsolete files in $1"
cd $1
listings=$(find . -name ".listing");
for f in $listings ; do
  dirn=$(dirname $f);
  # d2u $f
  (cd $dirn;
  filelist="";
  while read line
  do
    line2=$(echo $line | awk '{print $9}');
    filelist="$filelist $line2"
  done<.listing
  for file in *; do
    if [ -f "$file" ] ; then
      case "$filelist" in
        *$file* ) ;;
        *)        echo "Removing obsolete file: ${1}/${dirn}/${file}"
                  rm -f $file ;;
      esac
    fi
  done)
done
}

wget -m -nr -nH --cut-dirs=3 --dot-style=binary \
  ${mirror}${mpath}/contrib
(cleanup contrib)
wget -m -nr -nH --cut-dirs=3 --dot-style=binary \
  ${mirror}${mpath}/latest
(cleanup latest)
wget -N --dot-style=binary ${mirror}${mpath}/setup.ini
cp latest/setup.exe ./setup.exe