RE: strange source packaging?

Why? If it's for ease of use, then fine - I agree that what the user
receives should be patched. However that is somewhat orthogonal to how
the download is accomplished.

> differences from pristine supplied would be nice but if I
> really care I would go and find the originals.

That's not actually the point. The point is that with some minor
setup.exe tweaking, the source download can be done it two parts:
'pristine' + (patch[es] & scripts). Then when a local adjustment is
made, but the upstream hasn't released a new version, users can get the
new source trivially - setup should be smart enough to see the pristine
tarball in the /usr/src (or wherever) directory and just download the
appropriate patch set.

Rob