Re: ITP: netpbm

At 04:23 PM 4/26/2002, you wrote:

>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
>>They can be accommodated by providing a script with the package that moves the files elsewhere if this becomes a big issue, no?
>

>upgrades?

Run the script again.

>Also, user customized installations belong in /usr/local; don't mess with /usr if you want support from the list.

OK, if you're suggesting this is an argument against the script I mentioned,
fine by me.  I don't think it's needed either.  I was just trying to point
out that there are alternatives for those individuals who preferred their
installation of netpbm to go in other directories.  I wasn't really
proposing a specific solution.

>I'd probably end up ignoring Jan's package and rebuilding my own version (which goes into:
>
>/usr/local/bin/netpbm/*
>/usr/local/lib/
>/usr/local/include/
>etc...
>
>Or maybe downloading Jan's -src package with each new release and rebuilding it after changing the prefix...and the /bin/netpbm/ ...

Right.  That's an option too for those who want something different than
setup would provide.

I guess I can live with netpbm packaged with it's own bin directory if
it handles adding the special directory to PATH and given that it is the
exception to the rule like you mentioned.