Re: URL paths in setup.exe

Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

Fine, but that's still a Cygwin library and doesn't exist in MinGW land.
I'm making a fuss for search engine sake.  So, please, let's find a
different way to reference it or I'll be getting questions of "Where can I
find the cygfile library?" on my MinGW list.

>  >
> > > This means that:
> > > file:///foo/bar.txt is /foo/bar.txt on posix, and Current
> > > drive:\foo\bar.txt on mingw.
> >
> > I don't see that working natively, so it doesn't work on my
> > MinGW, what mingw are you talking about?  I tried both
> > Netscape and IE, they both understand file://c:/temp/foo.txt,
> > though.  However, file:///temp/foo.txt wasn't found.
>
> Ok, well sounds like MS only do absolute paths (which the spec
> requires).

And, that is a good thing, IMO.

> > > As for file:// + d: + \foo\bar.txt, can we normalise that as
> > > file://d|/foo/bar.txt - that is what MS do, and will be
> > less confusing
> > > for users of the codebase (IMO).
> >
> > As I've already stated file://c:/foo/bar.txt also works.
>
> Sure. Try file://c|/foo/bar.txt. You'll find that that works too - and
> that is conformant URI syntax, whereas file://c:/foo/bar.txt is not.

I'll agree.

Earnie.