New SGML/XML packages

Hi,

A while ago Markus Hoenicka announced that some Cygwin SGML/XML packages
were available for testing.  There weren't any major problems reported (just
a few minor packaging/naming issues which have been fixed), so is there any
chance these can be added to the standard Cygwin distribution?

Quite a few open source projects (e.g. KDE, Gnome) are using DocBook, so
being able to manipulate these docs with Cygwin would be useful.  :-P

I'd rather these packages were added as "test" versions to begin with.

These packages are contributed & maintained by me (Jon Foster):
> sgml-base
> xml-base
> docbook-sgml
> docbook-xml

These are contributed & maintained by Markus Hoenicka:

Markus wrote:

> The easiest way to test these packages is to enter:
>
> http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/
>
> as an extra mirror site in setup.exe.
>
> The software should allow you to transform DocBook SGML and XML
> documents as well as TEI XML documents to HTML and printable output.
>
> Printable output through TeX is not yet available AFAIK as it needs
> some changes to the texmf packages. I'll try to come up with patches
> and contact Jan as soon as possible.
>
> There is a tutorial available at:
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/cygbook1.html
>
> This covers more than actually is available as Cygwin packages, but it
> should provide enough information to start using the packages for
> those who do not have any previous experience with SGML/XML. The
> tutorial does not yet reflect the package-based setup (it still
> contains the manual installation from the days of yore), but this will
> be fixed in the next release.

Setup.hints:
> [...]
> the package docbook-dsssl.
>
> This DTD is also available in XML flavour (in package 'docbook-xml').
>
> See http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ for more information."

> category: Text
> requires: xml-base libxml2 ash
> # xml-base  - XML entities
> # libxml2   - So we can add DTDs to the XML catalog.
> # ash       - To run the post-install script.
> test: 4.1.2-1
> sdesc: "An XML DTD for writing books and other documentation."
> ldesc: "An XML DTD for writing books and other documentation,
> especially technical documentation.
>
> To convert DocBook documents to other formats such as HTML, you also need
> the package docbook-xsl.
>
> This DTD is also available in SGML flavour (in package 'docbook-sgml').
>
> See http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ for more information."

> # setup.hint file for the Cygwin docbook-xsl package
> # Original source: http://docbook.sourceforge.net/
> category: Text
> requires: libxslt docbook-xml
> # libxslt     - not really required for installation, but if you
> #               want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need a
> #               XSLT engine, and libxslt is the only one cygwin offers.
> # docbook-xml - If you want to do anything with this package then you need
> #               the Docbook XML DTD.  If docbook-xml isn't installed, it
> #               will be automatically fetched from a web server *every
time*
> #               they're needed.  However, that's a very slow way to do
it -
> #               far better to install them locally.
> test: 1.49-1
> sdesc: "XSL stylesheets for transforming DocBook XML to HTML and
> other formats."
> ldesc: "XSL stylesheets for transforming DocBook XML to HTML or FO.
>
> Once the document has been converted to a FO (Formatting Object) file,
> it can be further processed to PDF or other formats, using tools
> such as PassiveTeX (not included)
>
> See http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ for more information."

> # setup.hint file for the Cygwin OpenJade package
> # Original source: http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
> sdesc: "A SGML parser and a DSSSL engine to transform SMGL and XML
documents"
> ldesc: "OpenSP is a library for parsing SGML files. The package contains
> several binaries using this library. Among them is OpenJade, a DSSSL
engine
> that transforms SMGL and XML documents. Openjade contains backends to
create
> human-readable output (RTF, HTML, MIF), a backend to create TeX output for
> further transformation into Postscript and PDF formats, as well as
backends
> to create FOT and to perform SGML->SGML transformations. Openjade is
widely
> used for SGML/XML-based software manuals using the linuxdoc or DocBook
DTDs.
> [...]
> ldesc: "A basic SGML tree, and tools to maintain it.
> Includes the ISO entities, and the definitions of HTML 3.2, 4.0 and 4.01."

> # setup.hint file for the Cygwin tei-xml package
> # Original source: http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/DTD
> category: Text
> requires: libxslt tei-xsl sgml-base xml-base
> # libxslt     - not really required for installation, but if you
> #               want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need a
> #               XSLT engine, and libxslt is the only one cygwin
> #               offers.
> # tei-xsl     - not really required for installation, but without
> #               the stylesheets you won't be able to transform your
> #               TEI XML documents
> # sgml-base   - to incorporate the catalog file into the master
> #               SGML catalog
> # xml-base    - to include the DTD in the XML catalog
> test: 4-1
> sdesc: "The Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) XML DTD"
> ldesc: "The Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) XML DTD
>
> A large, modular, and flexible document type definition which is
> widely used in linguistic applications, although it is as well
> suitable for general-purpose documents.
>
> See http://www.tei-c.org/ for more information."

> # setup.hint file for the Cygwin tei-xsl package
> # Original source: http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.html
> category: Text
> requires: libxslt tei-xml
> # libxslt     - not really required for installation, but if you
> #               want to do anything *useful* with it you'll need a
> #               XSLT engine, and libxslt is the only one cygwin
> #               offers.
> # tei-xml     - not really required for installation, but without
> #               the DTD you won't be able to transform your
> #               TEI XML documents
> test: 20011027-1
> sdesc: "The TEI XSL Stylesheets"
> ldesc: "The XSL Stylesheets for the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) XML DTD
>
> These stylesheets do not yet support all elements of the (pretty
> complex) TEI DTD, but a popular subset (TEILite) is completely
> supported.
>
> See http://www.tei-c.org/ for more information."

> # This package is assembled from the XML parts of Debian's sgml-base
> # package, with minor modifications for cygwin.  Note that this package
> # does not contain any XML DTDs, they are in xml-base.
> # Contents:
> # - ISO entity definitions
> # - XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 DTDs
> # - Minor miscellaneous DTDs.
> #
> category: Text
> requires: libxsl2 ash
> # libxsl2   - To maintain the XML catalog.
> # ash       - To run the post-install script to set up an SGML catalog.
> test: 1.1-1
> sdesc: "Basic XML and XHTML DTDs and entities."
> ldesc: "A basic XML tree.  Includes the ISO entities, and the definitions

List of direct URLs so you can download the files easily (you don't need
these if you just use setup.exe):

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-dsssl/setup.hin
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-dsssl/docbook-d
sssl-1.76-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-dsssl/docbook-d
sssl-1.76-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-sgml/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-sgml/docbook-sg
ml-4.1-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-sgml/docbook-sg
ml-4.1-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xml/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xml/docbook-xml
-4.1.2-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xml/docbook-xml
-4.1.2-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xsl/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xsl/docbook-xsl
-1.49-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/docbook-xsl/docbook-xsl
-1.49-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/openjade/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/openjade/openjade-1.3.1
-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/openjade/openjade-1.3.1
-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/sgml-base/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/sgml-base/sgml-base-1.0
1-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/sgml-base/sgml-base-1.0
1-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/xml-base/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/xml-base/xml-base-1.1-1
.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/xml-base/xml-base-1.1-1
-src.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xml/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xml/tei-xml-4-1.tar
.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xml/tei-xml-4-1-src
.tar.bz2

http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xsl/setup.hint
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xsl/tei-xsl-2001102
7-1.tar.bz2
http://www.toomanysecrets.net/~foster/cygwin/contrib/tei-xsl/tei-xsl-2001102
7-1-src.tar.bz2

Kind regards,

Jon Foster
--
"That's not flying, that's just falling with style"

E-mail: jon@jon-foster.co.uk
web: http://www.jon-foster.co.uk/