Re: new package offering: zsh

On 23 May 2002 cygwin-apps-digest-help@cygwin.com wrote:

Hi All,
  There were some messages/questions that were only on the list (I get
the digest version), so I appologize for not responding more promptly.  I
did want to respond to people and get a final resolution on zsh.

>From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
>On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:32:07PM -0500, Matthew Smith wrote:
>>I'll vote "yes" for this, but I do have a question: have you dealt with
>>binary/text issues specific to the windows platform in your port?
>
>zsh has historically had pretty strong cygwin support so I don't think
>this will be an issue.
>
>I would be thrilled to have this in the distribution.  I've been using
>my own version of zsh for years and have been meaning to submit it
>as a package.  I even went as far as incorporating it into mknetrel.
>
>I'd be happy to have some other victi, er, person to deal with the
>inevitable questions, though.

I'm willing to handle issues with zsh, and in particular, this port of
zsh.  As I've said, I really enjoy hacking on it, and I feel it's a shell
worth of inclusion in Cygwin.  Why else would I have offered it?  (well,
besides the fact that I'm a bit loony, but that's completely besides the
point... :)

>One minor question: isn't there a libncurses requirement for zsh?
>And maybe a libintl-1?

Funny you should mention that.  Actually, only the Zle modules cares
about screen attributes and control, and it is it's own terminal manager
(using termio for the line control).  It does link with termcap, but it's
a static link, so no runtime needed, really.  Also, there doesn't appear
to be a need for libintl (at least I didn't see it in any of the links).

>cgf

>From: Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
> You can use the "O_BINARY" flag in open() calls -- but since some
> platforms don't define it, you must include something like
>
> #ifndef O_BINARY
> #define O_BINARY 0
> #endif
>
> somewhere in zsh's header files....
>
> open() will still obey the default mount mode settings of the underlying
> cygwin system; that is, if the file is on a text mount, it will be
> opened using CR/LF-->LF translation.   If the file is on a binary mount,
> it will be opened in O_BINARY mode.
>
> include O_BINARY in your open call to force binary mode on the file.
>
> But, an ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory...all I've got is
> theory. :-)
>--Chuck

Now, as to the use of O_BINARY.  Is it the general concensus that this
change should be investigated before the package will be accepted or
would people like to give it a try while I experiment with it?

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>