Re: Setup 2.218.2.9 fails to read setup.ini file from prc-tools mirror

The error messages which Carl saw come from iniparse.cc, which in turn is produced
from the parser definition in iniparse.y.

>From the definitions in iniparse.y it is clear that the sdesc and ldesc arguments
have to be put in quotes in order to be recognized as a single token.
So, as John said, the example at the bottom of the page
(http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html) is wrong and should be
corrected. (Rob, are you listening ?)

One thing which maybe could cause problems is the accomodation of the md5 checksum
support in setup.ini.
See the description on http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html.
Adding md5 checksums to the setup.ini for prc-tools could be a good idea anyway in
order to be compatible with future versions of setup.

An other thing which might be going on is that after the download
from setup.ini from sourceforge (via http) the file does not get
properly closed, and/or does not get the right permissions to be opened
again for reading by the parser. All these permission problems do
not exist on Win9x.

One thing Carl could try is to use the latest setup snapshot on
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/.
The latest one right now is setup-2.249.exe.
See if the problem is still there on XP with that version.

I myself have no access to an XP machine, so I cannot help any more with this.
Hope this sheds a little more light on the problem.

Ton van Overbeek