Re: [ITP]: Berkley DB v2

Hi,

The reason is quite simple, it has to do with the format of the database. When Sleepycat switches from v2->v3.0 it requires a database format upgrade. This makes it impossible to use v3.0 formatted databases with applications dependant on v2 databases. As such, those applications can only link against v2 headers and libraries. If you read my release statement closely, you will note that my intention is to release the other versions of The Berkeley DB in 3 day intervals. So to answer your question, yes DB v4.0 will be released, but I want to release the other versions first. When v3 is released, it will co-exist with the v2 headers and libraries, but establish itself as the primary DB by symlinking it's libraries to /usr/lib/libdb.{a la dll.a}. Whichever db release you install last will establish itself as the "default" db. Optimally this should be db4.0, so that is why it will be released last.

Cheers,
Nicholas

Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

--- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

Right now, that's db2. Later it will be db3.3, and even later you'll get db4.0.

I am sorry for a stupid question. I could not find the answer in the search engines.
What is the reason for making the package of version 2, no longer supported by the vendor? Why not V4 ?

Regards, Stan