Re: Guile 1.5.6-2 available for review

Packaging structure looks pretty good to me. There's a small bug in the (native) buildscript [an unclosed 'if' block in prep()] but that's no big deal.

As far as the "ridiculously big" patch goes, I wouldn't worry. There are two ways to go
big patch: easy to create, easier on end-builders (they don't need the autotools) -- but it's big
small patch: it's small, but hard to maintain, and harder on the end-builders (they must have the autotools installed)

I dunno, which one would you pick? :-)

--Chuck

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Hi,

You've all been quite responsive, and helpful. I think (hope) that
all comments and bugs have been addressed in this -2 'release', there
were quite a few, and I found additional ones too. [Except maybe for
the autotool's dependency support, but I figured we could do without a
whole lot of .dep files.]

Note that the patch included in the -src tarball is still ridiculously
big, but that's because I need to run the autotools: most is
generated configure, Makefile.in and other cruft.

For lack of standard/better, I'm using the handy Debian package
changelog mode, no offence intended.

guile (1.5.6-2) unstable; urgency=low

* Fix srfi library names.
* Development package now named libguile-devel (previously
libguile14-dev).
* Import libs *.dll.a now in libguile-devel package.
* Add external-source: to all subpackage's .hint files.
* Fix permissions (sticky bit) and ownership of tarball contents.
* guile.m4 now in libguile-devel:/usr/share/aclocal (previously
erroneoulsy in libguile14:/usr/aclocal).
* Strip /usr/bin/guile.exe; upstream install apparently doesn't do
this.
* Prefix generated cross build script with 'cross-'.
* Add a native Cygwin buildscript, the generic build script at
http://cygwin.com/setup.html, modified by pasting splitting and
(sub)packaging from the cross build scripts. Somewhat tested, runs
fine on GNU/Linux.
* Fix install of guile.1 manual for guile-1.5.6-release.

-- Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> Fri, 5 Jul 2002 02:06:38 +0200

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Greetings,
Jan.

And here the repeatable data:

Guile version 1.5.6-2, is now available for testing at:

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile

After a successful installation of guile (and libguile14), you should
be able to run, eg,

guile -c '(begin (write (string-append "hello: " (version) "\n")))'

[there may be a working setup.ini at http://lilypond.org/cygwin]

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/setup.hint

sdesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (executable)"
category: interpreters
requires: cygwin libguile14
ldesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (executable)
Guile, the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extension, is a scheme
implementation designed for real world programming, supporting a
rich Unix interface, a module system, and undergoing rapid development.
`guile' is a scheme interpreter that can execute scheme scripts (with a
#! line at the top of the file), or run as an inferior scheme
process inside Emacs."

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/guile-1.5.6-2.README
http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/guile-1.5.6-2-src.tar.bz2
http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/guile-1.5.6-2.tar.bz2

===

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/guile-doc/setup.hint

sdesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (documentation)"
category: doc
requires: cygwin
external-source: guile
ldesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (documentation)
This package contains the documentation for guile, including both
a reference manual (via `info guile'), and a tutorial (via `info
guile-tut')."

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/guile-doc/guile-doc-1.5.6-2.tar.bz2

===

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/libguile14/setup.hint

sdesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (runtime libraries)"
category: libs
requires: cygwin
external-source: guile
ldesc: "The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter (runtime libraries)
Guile shared object libraries and the ice-9 scheme module. Guile is
the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extension."

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/libguile14/libguile14-1.5.6-2.tar.bz2

===

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/libguile-devel/setup.hint

sdesc: "Development headers and static libraries for Guile."
category: devel libs
requires: cygwin
external-source: guile
ldesc: "Development headers and static libraries for Guile.
`libguile.h' etc. C headers, aclocal macros, the `guile-snarf' and
`guile-config' utilities, and static `libguile.a' libraries for Guile,
the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extension."

http://lilypond.org/cygwin/tar/guile/libguile-devel/libguile-devel-1.5.6-2.tar.bz2