Re: Ghostscript packaging for X11, non-X11 versions

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:02:31PM +0100, John Morrison wrote:
> > I would go ahead and allow ALL of the scripts and man pages to be
> > duplicated (bdftops, font2c, gslj, etc) into both /usr/bin/|/usr/man and
> > /usr/X11R6/bin|/usr/X11R6/man -- without any renaming.
>
> Or have a ghostscript-docs-x.y.z which just contains documents...

Well, my personal preference has always been to include whatever
documentation a package has, whether it be man pages or supplementary
HTML documentation.  I figure if space is really an issue for a
particular user, they can delete the documentation if they wish.

As a maintainer, I'd rather provide the user with the complete package.
If the original software includes documentation, then in my opinion
the package I produce won't be complete unless I include the original
documentation.

In my opinion, distributing software without documentation is like
selling hardware without manuals.  Sure, you can *still* use it, but
it's really a pain to download the documentation if you'd like explore
additional features or configurations.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com