Re: setup.exe and replacing of in-use files

1) The appropriate list for this discussion is cygwin-apps@cygwin.com

Ehm.. of course it is.

2) I've checked in a quick option --no-replaceonreboot that does this, for
you to build upon. It needs building upon because failing to replace those
files *will* require a roll-back of the rest of the package that failed, or
you end up with an inconsistent package state. (i.e. imagine you upgrade ssh
and ssh-agent.exe isn't replaced. Ooops. So currently if you use this flag,
and it's triggered, you will have to shut down the offending software and
run setup.exe again.

Oh, and BTW: the patch was about 2 minutes work :}. Doing transactional
installs will be somewhat more :}.

I guess with transactional install you mean something like returning to the package list with the not-correctly-installed packages marked as "install" or "reinstall" be ok, it that case?
Another option would be to keep yelling a dialog at the used telling which file is occupied until the file is no longer occupied (again, this ONLY when setup.exe is launched with the option).

Right now I know _nothing_ of setup.exe internals but I'd like to contribute myself instead of kweep asking favors ;)
I'll take a look at it after tuesday (I got Electronics final test...).

BTW: I don't know if it's KDE's setup.ini faults but every time I launch setup.exe it proposes to me tu upgrade kde-base package from version 2-2.2.2-b1 to actual version 2.2.2-b1.
And if I select "keep" and then launch install again I get the proposal to upgrade from 2-2.2.2-b1 to actual version 2.2.2-b1.
And if I select "keep" and then launch install again I get the proposal to upgrade from 2-2-2.2.2-b1 to actual version 2.2.2-b1.
You got the idea, I guess.

KDE's setup.ini doesn't looks so bad to me:

@ kdebase-2
sdesc: "window manager and basic applications"
category: KDE-2-base
requires: kdelibs-2
version: 2.2.2-b1
install: kdebase-2.2.2-b1.tar.bz2 18452008

(this happens also with other packages from that same setup.ini actually)

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)