Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6

Charles Wilson wrote:

Now, all of the RPM-nuts are jumping up and down screaming "RPM! RPM!" right now -- and the Debian faction is yelling "dpkg! dpkg!". BEFORE voicing that, please go back and READ the 27,374 threads where this has been suggested in the past. Here's a summary:
-- setup.exe must be able to install the packages
-- setup.exe is a native windows program
-- therefore, we'd need
+ a native port of rpm, or
+ change our whole modus operandi to a "two-step" procedure; natively install the "core" packages from regular tarballs -- including an rpm package -- using a native setup.exe, and then use a different tool for system maintainance (or use setup in a different "mode" where it exec's the cygwin rpm.exe -- but this leads to other problems: a cygwin-dependent rpm.exe won't be able to update the cygwin package, unless some of the 'in-use-replace' magic from the current setup is grafted into rpm)

I'm just a plain-nut! Would it be worthwhile, in your opinion, to look at GNUpdate? At least, it doesn't carry any corporate baggage.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.