Re: mknetrel for president

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:05:54AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

* set of functions for each stage (configure, make, install) etc,
  and between stages.
* each package can override any of these functions with its own.
* configure, build, package src and binary package.
* rather simple, specific and lightweight.

Looking at mknetrel, there are two things that I really miss from my
self-centered pov:

* setting up the cross building environment.

There should be little, if any cross build environment to set up.  You
either have the cross compilers or you don't.

I hate to chime in, but I love Jan's scripts for building a cross-compiler. Let's be frank, building a cross environment is easy, but it is a tedious task somewhat prone to mistakes. Jan's scripts make this task easy and autonomous to execute. Just my opinion, but I think bootstrapping the cross-environment would be an excellent add-on for your script. In most people's case, they do not have the cross-compilers. This would give them the option, should they desire, to bootstrap and build the cross environment from scratch. I don't know about most of you, but I'm lazier than sin, so I suppose that's my reasoning for liking this.

Cheers,
Nicholas