RE: profile package

> From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
> John Morrison wrote:
> >
> > There's now a 1.0-2.  Added a little more functionality and
> > lots more comments.
> >
> > I've not recieved much feedback wrt this.  Come on folks -
> > what do you think?
>
> I haven't looked at the package but
>
> > sdesc: "Core common files needed for correct operation of cygwin"
> > ldesc: "Core common files needed for correct operation of cygwin"
>
> I don't believe this to be the correct description of the package.

Rob supplied the descriptions, I'm sure cygwin will operate without
profile, but would just "Core common files" be sufficient?

Debian's description (slightly altered) is:

sdesc: "Base system miscellaneous files"
ldesc: "This package contains the basic filesystem hierarchy, and
 several important miscellaneous files"

Would this be better?

> > category: base
> Shouldn't there be a dependency on the Cygwin package?

ack :)

requires: cygwin

Do you think it needs any shells?

the Deb package consists of: (relevant to Cygwin)

etc/debian_version
etc/host.conf
etc/inputrc
etc/issue
etc/issue.net
etc/nsswitch.conf
etc/profile

with a seperate base-passwd which "provides the
master /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, containing
allocated user and group IDs, plus the update-passwd
utility to keep them up to date."

Note that I'm willing to do this package too :)

J.