Re: proposal for GNU emacs 21.2 package

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Either that, or if someone can crack the shell on how to get rebase to use bfd routines instead of imagehlp routines. Another suggestion is you might want to see how the XEmacs people handled those particular pointers [assuming they exist in that branch (I'm not up on the whole GNUEmacs vs. Xemacs bit)]. Or you could email RMS and tell him that his code is unacceptable and not cross platform.
The difference has to do with the way that LISP objects are represented.
Both flavors of emacs use 32 bit words to represent objects.  GNU emacs
uses the top 4 bits for tags, leaving 28 bits for integer or pointer
values or whatever.  Which ends up meaning that the top 4 bits better
be zero or at least constant.  Xemacs made some changes in this area that
lead to the high bits of pointers being usable, so Xemacs basically
doesn't care where objects are located in memory.

It might be possible to figure out how to work around this, but it
would probably take a couple of days of my time, and I'm a bit behind at
the moment.  When DLLs get relocated by the Windows loader, objects
end up with both low addresses and high addresses, breaking the assumptions
in the GNU emacs code.

Joe Buehler