Re: GNU emacs 21.2-3 packages available

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 00:11, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 00:02, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> >

> >>Well that may be the way it should be, but the reality of the situation
> >>is this:
> >>

> >Check the source luke.
> >
> Source != Reality

Ha!. Source released under the GPL had d**n well better == reality, or
we're breaking the licence.

> Why on earth would setup be saying it is uninstalling but not really
> uninstalling?

Is is uninstalling, but not as an uninstall, rather as the first part of
an upgrade. I've already said this in this conversation.

> It sure does act like it is uninstalling, including
> long pauses of activity for the larger packages.  And if your
> assertions were correct, wouldn't the uninstall of the next package
> happen right after the install of the previously updated package?

Yes. And it should. You've also prodded me into finding a bug. Thanks.

> AFAICT, this is not what is happening.  Be aware that I'm using the
> release version of setup, not HEAD or a snapshot.

It's been like this for 3 full releases. See install.cc.
See your log files. They'll show I was completely wrong!

FYI there are three loops in install.cc.
One for uninstalls
One for inplace replacements
One for installs.

The uninstall checks is coded wrongly and triggering on replacements.

Doh.

So emacs will squeeze by for now.

Rob