GPL packages without a COPYING file

Some time ago doing a review of the pwgen package (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00656.html) I observed:
> This seems to be a GPL package but I cannot find a COPYING file in the
> original distribution, this voids the GPL as you (or Red Hat) cannot
> redistribute this package without a copy of the GPL license. You may
> need to ask the upstream maintainer to add a COPYING file to the
> pwgen-2.0.2 tarball.

While updating keychain I found that it has the same problem.

GPL 1. You may copy and distribute [...] and give any other recipients
of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

Do you read the GPL differently than I do. Debian seems to as they have both a pwgen and a keychain package.

Can we just add a copy of the License to a GPL package missing it?

If we are worried about filespace consumption we could make a gpl-license package and symlink to its COPYING file as long as the files are identicals (some packages may have added conditions).

If you do read the GPL as I do we should delete the current keychain package(s) while I contact the upstream maintainer.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn