Re: initscripts package available for review/upload

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:16:51AM -0500, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> http://users.rcn.com/sokhapkin/release/initscripts/setup.hint
> http://users.rcn.com/sokhapkin/release/initscripts/initscripts-0.9-1.tar.bz2
>
> BTW, I just realized that sysvinit and initscripts have a common file -
> /etc/inittab. sysvinit includes a basic one, but initscripts has a full
> featured file. initscripts package has no postinstall script, /etc/inittab
> will be overwritten silently on the package installation. But I need to

The answer is probably "don't do this".  The initscripts package should
only contain skeleton files and/or scripts which create the correct files
on demand of the user.  My first OpenSSH packages did overwrite the
config files, too, but that resulted in too much complains.  Since then,
unpacking config files in place is considered bad practice for Cygwin.

At least the postinstall script of the package should rename the old
config file (as *.rpmsave on rpm based installations).

Red Hat, Inc.