Re: chkconfig package available for review/download

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:52:38PM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> [...]

I like the idea to start everything from init.  Creating an rc script
shouldn't be too hard.  Somehow I'm reluctant to switch over, though.
The complexity to start *one* service to get a running sshd is already
beyond some of our user community, how do they struggle with running
a service to start other daemons?!?

> >> I think it's premature for that however it would be interesting to have
> >> to transform all of the "How do I get inetd/sshd/crond to start?"
> >> questions into a "How do I get init to start?" question.
> >>
> >> What does everyone else think?
> >
> >This seems like the best approach to me--it's conceptually how a regular
> >Unix works. However, it would be only marginally useful if there is no easy
> >way for init to start inetd/sshd/crond (i.e., via init scripts for each
> >service).
>
> Sure, but the cynical part of me quails at the thought of switching the
> user base over once we have all of the init.d scripts available.  I can
> hear the cries from people who are trying to run two versions of sshd at
> the same time now.

Nah, the rcsshd script would check for /var/run/sshd.pid...

Red Hat, Inc.