Re: [Patch] Keep Button

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 09:28, Max Bowsher wrote:

> > 1) The prev trust level hasn't been removed as a group decision. You
> > need to keep that for now at least.
>
> I'm confident it will be shortly.

Does that change my statement?

> > 2) You are not checking requirements for packages, so if the user
> > removes <foo> they will be left with a broken install.
>
> Um? I'm just resetting all packages to what is installed already.
> Admittedly, it won't *fix* an install if the user has already manually
> broken dependencies, but I don't understand how it can break an install.

If a package is released with broken dependencies (as has happened
before) then this won't correct it for them, ever.

It's also the wrong approach IMO. We should offer single package
selection for this problem, not freeze the whole environment. I.e.:

Choose one of:
Update cygwin install (we make this the default)
Install a single new cygwin package.

Where the lower one offers none of the complexity of the current choose,
just a single, searchable list of packages. Once that is selected, a
partial screen appears listing the minim changes needed to support that
package.

Rob

--
---