Re: --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc support in cygwin, take 3.

Hi!

Sunday, 08 December, 2002 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

CW> Charles Wilson wrote:

>> I've tested Egor's patch and it seems to work just fine, as demonstrated
>> by the two test cases he posted last week, AND as demonstrated by the
>> test case posted to the binutils list some months ago (it tested
>> pseudo-reloc behavior in the child after a fork).
>>
>> I've also tested Egor's runtime reloc support with Ralf's binutils "use
>> the DLL as the import lib" and it ALSO works fine in all three cases.
>>
>> I'm going to continue using ld.exe-ralf and
>> cygwin1.dll-egor/libcygwin.a-egor for my day-to-day use, just to see if
>> something wacky crops up...
CW> [snip]
>> On balance, I agree that #1 is the best option.  Unless I run afoul of
>> some unforseen wackiness in the next few days, recommend inclusion as is
>> (in the most recent iteration, e.g. no cygwin.sc changes)

CW> So far, no problems.  I'm gonna go on record in favor of this patch, in
CW> its 4th incarnation

BTW, it should now be possible to build libstdc++ as a dll and use it
from application. C++-specific things were the main motivation of
introducing pseudo-relocs, because C++ generate references from client
application to typeinfo records in in libstdc++.dll, which cannot be
handled in other way than via pseudo-relocs. Previously, simple
program which uses simple C++-style 'std::cout << "Hello, world";'
couldn't be linked against libstdc++.dll because it contained
non-zero-addend-references. My own simple tests indicated that it
works, but i hadn't performed tests on real large-scale applications.

I wonder if some real applications in current cygwin distro uses
libstdc++, and if they can be tested against current binutils and
cygwin with libstdc++ built as DLL?