Re: xinetd and chkconfig - ok to upload ?

From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
> I don't think there is a clean way to do this (and ssh doesn't clean up
> /usr/bin/sshd-*-config either) unless we have a set of scripts like
>
> /etc/postinstall/
> /etc/postupgrade/
> /etc/preupgrade/
> /etc/preremove/
>
> and setup "knows" about upgrades vs. removals, and calls the "correct"
> scripts.  But that's a MESS -- and would probably break a lot of
> existing packages that depend on the current behavior for proper

Yep! You got my point. We can't do a clean package uninstall without
distinguishing between uninstall/upgrade actions. Moreover, I can't do

/usr/sbin/chkconfig --del xinetd

in xinetd's preremove script because chkconfig may be removed already by
setup on simultaneous upgrade of both xinetd and chkconfig pachages! BTW,
shouldn't setup remove/install the packages one by one? Currently if several
packages are upgraded at the same time setup removes _all_ the packages to
be upgared first and installs all the upgrade packages after that.

> Sergey said:
>  > Me too. I'd like to build rpc-aware xinetd with sunrpc package.
>
> I'm not sure if that means he wants to WAIT for the sunrpc package to be
> accepted into cygwin, then rebuild his xinetd package so that it uses
> the rpc stuff, or if he wants to go forward with xinetd AS-IS and add
> rpc stuff later on as an update.
>
> I suspect the latter.

You're right, I'm going to add RPC support to the next version of xinetd,
I'd like to have XXX-1 version of xinetd to be uploaded as is.

Sergey Okhapkin
Somerset, NJ