nfs-server - status & request for information

All,

  With the sunrpc package released, next thing up (for me,
at least) is the universal nfs server package.

  I'm still working on testing various and sundry options;
basic operation (running mountd/nfsd with the default
settings) seems to work well, though, so I'm optimistic
about other things.

  Two topics that I haven't been able to explore at all,
and probably won't have time to examine in the near future,
are:

  1) Installing under inetd or xinetd.
  2) Running under Win9x.

  If anyone has any information on these topics, please let me
know.  I'll gladly sing your praises in the installed docs and
in the release announcement :-)

  BTW, I've seen several people report problems with exporting
/cygdrive/c and the like.  I've started documenting this (and
other issues) in the Cygwin README file:

  - Cannot export '/cygdrive' or other Cygwin mounts

    The NFS daemon cannot export Cygwin mount points directly.  For
    example, if you add "/cygdrive/c" to /etc/exports, while mountd
    will not complain, any attempt to actually mount the directory on
    a remote machine will result in an error.

    A workaround is to create a regular directory, mount the Windows
    drive at that directory, and then export the directory.  For
    example:

      $ mkdir -p /exports/c
      $ mount -f -s -b c:/ /exports/c
      $ echo "/exports/c (ro,all_squash)" >> /etc/exports

-Samrobb