Re: new libxml2 / libxslt packages?

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 00:11, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> alexl@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > I was wondering whether there were plans to release new versions of
> > libxml2 and libxslt.  The versions that are part of Cygnus now are all
> > rather old (by almost a year in the case of libxslt).
> I'm sure Robert's aware of this, but he's got enough to do
> without having to update these.  They work quite fine at
> their current version, so I'll let him decide when it is
> appopriate to update.

I hope to do a update-and-test run shortly. Updating these packages
tends to be a little painful, or I'd do it more often :}.

> Another issue is that the python binding requires some
> reworking in 2.5.1, because it currently contains some
> relocation issues which prevent it from properly linking.
> This could also be fixed with a newer ld, which supports
> pseudo relocations.

Ah. Well, I don't use python - I'm happy to roll patches into the
builds, but have no innate interest in troubleshooting the issues. I'll
get a beta together in the near future, and let a python user fiddle :].

> On a side note, I think it might be worth noting that
> turning pthreads "on" works quite well.  It passes the test
> suite and I've noticed no side-effects other then a possible
> performance increase.  If and when you do get around to
> updating the packages robert, perhaps you might considier
> turning them on.

I'll be happy to. BTW: In the current versions, the threads interface
was still beta. It should be *no* faster, as all it allows is MIMD, not
MISD - that is parallel processing of multiple documents, not multiple
cpu processing of a single document.

Cheers,
Rob
--