Can't install CygWin using setup - says completed sucessfully but no bin or var directories

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've spent some time reading and
can't find any help on this issue.

I've tried to install CygWin 3 times on Windows 2000 and each time the
install claims to have completed successfully. I've used 2 different servers
from the list (which had 2 different versions up there, by the way) and in
both cases the results are the same.

I get a root folder:

d:\Software\CygWin

with sub folders:

lib, tmp, usr

The CygWin batch script contains directions to change to a folder that
doesn't exist [chdir D:\Software\CygWin\bin] & there is no 'var' folder
containing logs to consult.

I used the default install plus PostgreSQL (which is what I am wanting to
investigate).

Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help in advance. Installing on Win2K
Prof SP3. CygWin setup version 2.249.2.5

cheers,

Tom Gilbert