RE: Can't install cygwin using setup - says completed sucessfully but no bin or var directories

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Tom Gilbert wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Thanks very much for replying.
>
> >> Note that the CygWin setup MADE NO ATTEMPT TO DETECT THIS!!!
> > Calm down.  Actually, Cygwin setup did detect this.  The OpenSSH
> > installation apparently screwed up your mount table.
>
> Sorry, I forgot that CAPS implies shouting. I meant only *emphasis* not an
> attack!
>
> I guess I don't understand your answer. Surely a successfull
> LoadLibrary("cygwin1.dll") call would tell you there is another cygwin1.dll
> on the system and this could be reported to the user, or logged somewhere?

It's not that simple. What if the library is neither in the PATH, nor in
the default places where windows looks for dlls ?

> Thinking about it from the point of view of potential users, surely I
> identified a problem that very many users might come into contact with, and
> also suggested a valid solution?
> I always used to be grateful to people who did this for my software...
>
> I would bet that 90% of people installing this (in my case to look at
> PostgreSQL) haven't the faintest clue what a mount table might be on
> Windows, nor do they care - but whatever help they can get to make it work
> is very gratefully received!

This problem has already been identified and a "solution" is present in
the beta version of the Cygwin setup utility.